Q400 blocks all sound in sim - P3D v5.1

edited December 2020 in Customer support
I got the Q400 about a week ago and launched it a couple times but didn’t get around to doing much with it until today where when I launched it after having no problems with other aircraft the sim emits no sound, not even ambient environment sounds that should be unaffected by the aircraft. This occurs when and only when I have the Q400 launched, if I launch any other aircraft at the same locations there is no problem. I’ve had no major updates or hardware or configuration changes between now and when I’ve last launched it. I did do a reinstall of the Q400 which did seem to reset all the settings in the Control Panel that I did change (all I touched before were the graphics settings) and as such back to what definitely did work before but with the same results again.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? I did search around and tried things like Win7 compatibility mode, moved stuff around under DEVICES in the sound tab but no difference (everything under MAPPER worked fine before), each time completely reloading P3D. I have the same default sound devices set in Windows as before, and the only difference in my sim is new scenery installed since I’ve last opened (Orbx TE and some airports). The P3D sound settings are also what they should be.

Comments

• Adding some detail, I've followed the following threads to no avail in any of the suggestions:

http://majesticsoftware.com/forums/discussion/comment/3163#Comment_3163
    http://majesticsoftware.com/forums/discussion/comment/3220#Comment_3220
    http://majesticsoftware.com/forums/discussion/comment/2417#Comment_2417

The Sound tab in my Q400 Control Panel is otherwise all default currently, which did work before untouched but now doesn't. The only difference I have made to the sim that I remember now is disabling fullscreen optimizations as it was for some reason causing stuttering but even with that back to default it's still the same.

• Have you looked at your sound card's configuration to ensure that is it properly configured for 2.1 or 5.1 depwnding
    on what type of sound setup you have as this to can have an effect where by sound is not heard or does not sound correct..... Just a thought.
  • So I'm not sure what's changed since I've last tried it with it not working but it is now working again now. One thing I did try was set all the audio inputs to 3D but I don't think that made a difference in this. Regardless though I'm happy it is working now as I was just getting started with the Airline2Sim series on this aircraft.

What I do use is Voicemeeter Potato as a software audio mixer where I set inputs on that as the default primary and communications devices (separate channels for regular stuff and comms, for example) so any programs producing sound never actually output directly to my audio hardware; this has never caused any problems before though. Thanks for the response in the meantime, I will dig deeper into that again if it happens again.

• The Q400 uses a different sound processing system so, it may be a conflict. Glad to hear you got it going.
  • @Phunyun said:
    What I do use is Voicemeeter Potato as a software audio mixer where I set inputs on that as the default primary and communications devices (separate channels for regular stuff and comms, for example) so any programs producing sound never actually output directly to my audio hardware; this has never caused any problems before though. Thanks for the response in the meantime, I will dig deeper into that again if it happens again.

I don't have anything specific for you but yeah, that sounds troublesome for this one. I am at least a little knowledgeable on audio topics and I still wind up with the advice that the sound synthesis of the Q400 is fragile and its path to ouput should be kept as straightforward as possible.
    If you keep playing around with it and find out something, please do keep us posted. I'm always interested.