How to transition between LNAV and ILS ?

Hi,

I was wondering how to transition between enroute LNAV and an ILS approach.

i don't have this issue when flying on Vatsim when controllers are vectoring me as i'm on HDG and i just have to change the source to the ILS frequency and press APPR. However sometimes thje controller can clear you direct to the FAF and via FAF, cleared for the ILS rwy XX. This time i'm on LNAV, so i press arm apporach then tune approach, then APPR the FMA display LNAV APPR which seem to perform an RNAV approach. The only solution i've found so far is when the Q400 is turning toward the FAF, i change the source : FMS1 to ILS 1: it goes from LNAV to Wing Hold and I then press APPR and it intercepts the LOC and GS.

But i don't think that this is the correct procedure.

CMB

Comments

• I can't speak for how they do it in any airline, but the way I've always done it is, get cleared to the FAF in LNAV mode, and then once I've hit the FAF, make sure I have the proper frequency tuned into the NAV radio, then I switch the NAV Source from FMS to NAV, and then click the APPR button on the MCP, which like you said allows the plane to capture the localizer and glide slope signal. I don't see the problem with doing this